HOW TO PREPARE NIGERIAN BANGA SOUP (OFE-AKWU) FOR HAPPY HOME
HOW TO PREPARE NIGERIAN BANGA SOUP (OFE-AKWU) FOR HAPPY HOME
How to prepare Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) for happy home is another dossier from Respect The Woman Initiatives for women challenged with such cooking knowledge.
We hope to answer the following question too on the topic how to prepare Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) for happy home:
- What is the health Benefit of Banga Soup?
- How to cook Banga Soup with egusi
- How to make Calabar Banga Soup
- How to cook Banga Rice
- How to prepare Ofe Akwu Igbo style
These Basic outlines will be followed on the topic how to prepare Nigerian Ora (Oha) soup for happy home.
- What is Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu)?
- What is the Domestic and Cultural Value Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu)?
- What are the basic Ingredients on How to prepare Bitter Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu)?
- The health analysis of these ingredients used in Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu)?
- How to cook Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) with the above ingredients?
WHAT IS BANGA SOUP (OFE AKWU)
Banga Soup aka Ofe Akwu is a soup Nigeria in general is known for.
It is termed Banga Soup (Ofe Akwu) because of the Palm fruit sauce formed from the palm fruit which in itself is the soup.
Banga is the Calabar name for Palm fruit while Akwu is the Igbo name for Palm fruit too hence the name Banga Soup or Ofe Akwu.
Ofe Akwu simply means Akwu Soup or better still Palm fruit Soup
This is harvested from Palm tree.
The newly formed palm fruit known as Osukwu in Igbo Language is preferred.
DOMESTIC AND CULTURAL VALUE OF NIGERIAN BANGA SOUP (OFE AKWU)
Just like our response on what is the domestic and cultural value of these two topics: –
Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe Akwu) is not the Chief Soup in events in Igbo Land.
RTWI doubts if it is in other parts of Nigeria but many add it to make variety the spice of the event.
Domestically no family can ignore it. Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe Akwu) is a worth having in a homes always.
It is very cheap to cook. When tomatoes are hard to get Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe Akwu) becomes the most ready and available soup for both economic and domestic purposes
WHAT ARE THE BASIC INGREDIENTS ON HOW TO PREPARE NIGERIAN BANGA SOUP (OFE-AKWU) FOR HAPPY HOME
- Meat (Preferably Cow Intestines, Meats from Cow Head and Cow tail)
- Fish (A combination of Dried Fish, Smoked Fish and Stock fish will do)
- Ogiri Igbo or Okpeyi depending on choice (Name not known for now in English Language)
- Scent Leaf also known as Nchu Anwu Leaf in Igbo Language
- Palm fruit / Banga Fruit / Mkpuru Akwu (They all mean the same thing)
- Condiments and Spices.
Please note that we took our time not to recommend any quantity of ingredient to be used for now because that depends on two things:
- The quantity of the soup to be cooked
- The purpose for cooking the soup.
HEALTH ANALYSIS OF THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS
The above ingredients are good but caution should not be thrown away while applying the following:
- Salt: lack of Salt makes the food to be tasteless but excess salt is not good to health. It reduces the ability of the kidney to remove water which causes high Blood pressure.
- Salt: Lack of salt too causes Goiter.
- Spies and Condiment: Please caution should not be thrown to the wind when one is buying Spices and condiment. Check it well. Areas of concentration include the expiry date, the company’s reputation and general public recommendation from usage. Soon we will advise on condiment and spices to be use on each food.
- Medicinal Value of Palm Friut (Banga / Akwu): Medical records has it that Palm Fruit is very medicinal. It contains vitamin A which is good for the eyes.
- Palm Fruit in the quantity used for Banga Soup contains Cholesterol. Caution should not be thrown to the wind while eating it. Cholesterol causes cardiac issues and strokes.
- Scent Leaf is a strong antibiotics too.
STEPS ON HOW TO COOK NIGERIAN BANGA (OFE AKWU) SOUP
Please find below the process on how to cook Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu):
- First of all tell yourself what you want. This includes how large you want the quantity of the soup to be.
- Let’s handle how to prepare a pot of Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) Soup a family of 3 will eat for a lunch
- Grind Pepper, Onions, crayfish, Okpeyi if that is what you want to use and other condiments together.
- Buy N400.00 Palm Fruit which will be about a Painter.
- Buy Scent Leaf of N500.00 which will be sizable enough. Scent Leaf farmers (Nchu Anwu Leaf Farmers) can get from their farms.
- Cook the Palm Fruit. Once it is done, remove from the pot and pond in a mortar till it is well pounded.
- Add mildly hot water to the well pounded Palm Fruit and squeeze severally with clean hands until it is properly squeezed.
Adequately Squeezed Palm Fruit
- Sieve out the Palm nuts and the all the Palm debris such that only the Palm sauce will remain.
- At this stage the Banga Sauce / Ofe Akwu Sauce is formed.
- Cook and sauce the meats and the fishes in a separate pot.
- A clean pot is placed on the burner and the Banga Sauce is poured into it.
- Allow it to boil for about 7 mins.
- Add the grinded stuffs and allow it sometimes like 5 mins on the burner.
- Pour in the meats, the fishes and the sauced water gotten from cooking the soup and the fish.
- Stir for a while and taste it before putting further salts and condiments. This is because these things were used when getting the fish and the meats sauced. A careless addition might make the soup to be salty.
- About water with respect to how thick you want Nigerian Banga Soup (Ofe-Akwu) to be.
- Put the Scent leaf.
- Stir the Soup for 5 mins and bring it down from the fire.
- You have just served Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) real hot
Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe Akwu) can also be cooked with Egusi. That will be on How to cook Banga Soup with egusi
RTWI hopes that you are now educated by the topic how to cook Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu).
The topic how to cook Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) for a happy home may not be like some Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) topics you are used to which includes: How to cook Banga Soup with egusi; How to prepare Ofe Akwu Igbo style but it is unique.
Why not go back and correct the trouble in your home with a great cook. Satisfy everybody with this great knowledge of yours and return love to your home.
RTWI’s WELCOME NOTE – WE ARE RESPECT THE WOMAN INITIATIVES (NGO) speaks a volume on why we are concerned with this topic Nigerian Banga soup (Ofe-Akwu) for happy family
RTWI’S EXPECTATION OF WOMEN AFTER THIS TOPIC
- Be a learning guide to other women.
- Don’t mock a fellow woman
- Be a councilor to families with cooking problem.